Aerial Work Platforms (now called Mobile Elevating Work Platforms or MEWPs) & Powered Industrial Trucks
Aerial lift operator training applies to persons engaged in the design, maintenance, use and operation of MEWPs (previously known as aerial work platforms, or AWPs) & PITs (Powered Industrial Trucks). This includes scissor lifts, boom lifts, manual lifts and various types of fork lift/ fork trucks.
Safety Training Services will conduct operator safety training (OST) or refresher safety training (RST) required by ANSI Standards A92.22-20 for safe use, and A92.24-20 for training. This suite of standards has replaced A92.3 for manually propelled elevated work platforms, A92.5 for self-propelled booms, and A92.6 for scissor lifts. These training courses are for persons engaged in the operation, use and maintenance of self-propelled scissor lifts and/or boom-supported elevating work platforms lifts (telescoping or articulating) electrically powered or by internal combustion engine, and any manually propelled elevated aerial platforms.
(Mobile Elevating Work Platform)
MEWP Operator Training
Operators will be trained and tested (written and practical) in the safe operation of both scissor lift & boom lift related tasks/topics such as the following:
- The purpose, use & location of manuals.
- Proper storage of maintenance & operating manuals.
- A pre-start inspection of the MEWP (mobile elevating work platform).
- Workplace inspection prior to operating the MEWP.
- Responsibilities associated with problems or malfunctions affecting operation of the MEWP.
- Factors affecting stability.
- The purpose of placards & decals.
- Safety rules & regulations.
- Authorization to operate the MEWP.
- Identification of hazards associated with operation of the MEWP.
- Operating warnings and instructions.
- Demonstration of proficiency in the operation of the MEWP.
Forklift Operator Training
Operators will be trained in the safe operation of powered industrial trucks and in the performance of tasks such as the following:
- Pre-Operation Inspection.
- Function Testing.
- Handling Loads.
- Truck Maneuvering.
- Plus specific activities in which operators would encounter within their work place requirement regarding the operation of the fork truck.
NOTE: Skid Steer and Rough Terrain Forklift operator training is not included in this training program (per OSHA requirements) and are treated as separate training instruction courses. For more info about Skid Steer or Rough Terrain Forklift (RTFL) training, contact us at (877) 724-2744.
Our programs consist of:
Work-site hazard assessment
Provide professional instruction/training – for operators that is consistent with the applicable OSHA/ANSI standards.
This is “operator training” NOT simply a ½ hour tool-box talk or “equipment familiarization” that is passed off as training by some.
This program will provide the necessary training requirements to advance job-site workers/staff/employees to “Qualified Person” status as required by OSHA/ANSI.
Benefits to You
- Multimedia presentation to keep participants ENGAGED.
- Accident cause & effect analysis to keep participants LEARNING and UNDERSTANDING.
- Course completion certificate & photo IDs to keep participants HONEST about who is trained as a “Qualified Person.”
- Certificates and IDs list the standards trained on to keep participant and employer INFORMED of their skill set.
- Training records are maintained electronically beyond ANSI 4 year requirements.
This operator status will be validated by the issuance, with successful course completion, a wallet sized photo ID card with listed course credentials by Safety Training Services, valid for 3 years.