Temperatures have just started to plummet this winter but already firefighters have observed kitchen ovens being used to warm homes.
When used correctly your home appliances are very safe but this is an incredibly dangerous practice. Should you heat your home with your oven? NO!
If you have a gas oven you are putting yourself at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Without a carbon monoxide detector there is no way to know if this gas is building up in your home.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be similar to other illness and cause fainting, headaches, and dizziness. In large qunatities carbon monoxide can be fatal.
An electrical stove is not a better alternative to heat your home. An unattended electrical stove has the potential to burn children, pets, or even to start fires.
Your oven is inefficient at heating a home, it was not designed and built for this purpose. The purchase and safe use of a space heater is much more effective at heating areas of your home.
To learn more about home heating & fire safety and preventing fires in your home, please visit the National Fire Protection Association.
Chicago & Northwest Indiana Fire Extinguishers - Protect your home! If your home or business is in Northwest Indiana, Chicago, or the Chicagoland area and you have questions about fire extinguishers, fire extinguisher training, or in need of a fire extinguisher recharge, contact us today!